Apparently, the rumors of a pending resignation from the Commission by Miranda Wecker have some traction. I’ve been doing a little poking around and visiting with various contacts about reasons behind the possible departure of Commissioner Wecker. As has been mentioned in other posts on this thread, the Commission works for the people of the state and they are charged with managing our fish and wildlife resources. As such, they have to have the best interests of the resources as their driving responsibility and science, not politics, needs to be used in the decisions made. I think we have been seeing that sea change in our fish and wildlife management over the past few years. Some moves by the Commission haven’t been popular but they are for the overall good of a sound resource management program.

It is my understanding that a number of the Coastal Caucus legislators and in particular Blake, Hatfield, Hargrove are not happy with the way the Commission and, in this situation, Commissioner Wecker, have been working to re-build our fish and wildlife resources. It would appear that commercial interests have been pushing for a change. There are also political concerns over the excellent choice the Commission made for our new Director. It sounds like Director Unsworth was not the preferred candidate by the tribes and the Governor’s office. It looks to me like political pressure is being applied and Commissioner Wecker may have been asked to resign. If so, that request is coming from the Governor’s office.

Governor Inslee saw fit to re-appoint Commissioner Wecker in 2013. He knew that he was getting a strong advocate for professional fish and wildlife management. Unfortunately, she has not been confirmed by the Senate for during her time with the Commission. Had she been approved, we wouldn’t be discussing her departure.

I did some digging into the statutes and rules that address appointive offices in state government and you can read them in the links below. My read is that the Governor could request Commissioner Wecker’s resignation. This would, of course, give him and those pushing for her removal political cover. If no letter of resignation is submitted, then, as I read the RCW and Senate Rules he would have to request a vote of the whole Senate to remove her from her seat on the Commission. I sincerely hope cooler heads prevail within the Senate and Commissioner Wecker be allowed to finish out her term as one of our Wildlife Commissioners.

I don’t know how the process will work out. I’m sure Commissioner Wecker will take the high road in the interests of fish and wildlife resource management and not the lower political route that is driving this issue.

If you would like to see Commissioner Wecker finish out her term, you should contact your state Senator's office. It would be nice if the Senate would vote to confirm her appointment and let her finish her term as a Commissioner.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=43.06

RCW 43.06.094
Gubernatorial appointees — Removal prior to confirmation.
Gubernatorial appointees subject to senate confirmation, other than those who serve at the governor's pleasure, may not be removed from office without cause by the governor prior to confirmation except upon consent of the senate as provided for by the rules of the senate.
[1981 c 338 § 1.]
http://leg.wa.gov/Senate/Administration/Pages/senate_rules.aspx#top

Confirmation of Gubernatorial Appointees
Rule 69.
When the names of appointees to state offices are transmitted to the secretary of the senate for senate confirmation, the communication from the governor shall be recorded and referred to the appropriate standing committee.
The standing committee, or subcommittee, pursuant to rule 42, shall require each appointee referred to the committee for consideration to complete the standard questionnaire to be used to ascertain the appointee's general background and qualifications. The committee may also require the appointee to complete a supplemental questionnaire related specifically to the qualifications for the position to which he has been appointed.
ny hearing on a gubernatorial appointment, held by the standing committee, or subcommittees, pursuant to rule 42, shall be a public hearing. The appointee may be required to appear before the committee on request. When appearing, the appointee shall be required to testify under oath or affirmation. The chair of the committee or the presiding member shall administer the oath or affirmation in accordance with RCW 44.16. (See also Article 2, Sec. 6 of the State Constitution.)
Nothing in this rule shall be construed to prevent a standing committee, or subcommittee, pursuant to rule 42, upon a two-thirds vote of its members, from holding executive sessions when considering an appointment.
When the committee on rules presents the report of the standing committee before the senate, the question shall be the confirmation of the name proposed, and the roll shall then be called and the yeas and nays entered upon the journal. In the event a message is received from the governor requesting return of an appointment or appointments to the office of the governor prior to confirmation, the senate shall vote upon the governor's request and the appointment or appointments shall be returned to the governor if the request is approved by a majority of the members elected or appointed. (Article 13 of the State Constitution.)