Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#240987 - 04/16/04 12:43 AM Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
The following was taken from the current issue of Fishing and Hunting News:

Fishing and Hunting News has just published the first part of a two part conversation with state WDFW commissioners Cahill and R.P. Van Gytenbeek. In the first installment Cahill says: "The issue has been fermenting for years, I would call it a culture war between the catch and release fly fishermen, and people who want to take home a fish. It has been a pretty viscious war, They call each other names, yell at public hearings." The article says of Van Gytenbeek> " The proposal to ban wild retention was made by commissioner R.P. Van Gytenbeek of Seattle, an avid fly angler." " He initially proposed a permanent ban. When that failed to pass, however, a six year ban was proposed. When that failed, Commissioner Russ Cahill of Olympia proposed the two year program, which passed by a 5-3 vote." Cahill said of his decision to go along with the compromise: " I think a two year moratorium is a conservative approach, a deep breath, while the WDFW gets the science put together, Then the decision can be made again. That's why I voted for this particular version."

Comments from WDFW went like this: "While wild steelhead moratoriums have been in effect on rivers where steelhead runs are in danger, about a dozen streams on the Olympic Peninsula as well as King County's Green still allowed keeping wild fish. That's because runs on rivers such as the Hoh, Bogey, Calawah and others are at all-time highs, according to Bob Leland, steelhead program manager for WDFW., In fact, WDFW staffers seem to be surprised , if not shocked and dismayed, at the cecision by the commission. If these rivers are in such excellent steelhead shape why the ban? Moreso, why the ban now, when WDFW is still at work on a two -year steelhead stewardship management plan for these rivers?"

And the debate (and BS) goes on.......

#240988 - 04/16/04 09:05 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I will tell you Grandpa that the WSC is not a flyfishing group. There are lots of gear guys(Todd and I included) and we believe that wild steelhead need more protection because the runs are in trouble.

"That's because runs on rivers such as the Hoh, Bogey, Calawah and others are at all-time highs, according to Bob Leland, steelhead program manager for WDFW., In fact, WDFW staffers seem to be surprised , if not shocked and dismayed, at the cecision by the commission. If these rivers are in such excellent steelhead shape why the ban? Moreso, why the ban now, when WDFW is still at work on a two -year steelhead stewardship management plan for these rivers?"

How can the Hoh be at an all time high when it won't make escapement this year? The Quillayute system is declining for the 6th year in a row and according to WDFW's own numbers are not at an all time high. Frankly I don't trust some of what I hear from Bob Leland and Bob Gibbons(they did speak at a WSC meeting), if steelhead numbers are declining under their management plans then maybe they are wrong.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#240989 - 04/16/04 09:22 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

JG..remember..I am gathering opinions from all over and posting them...not necessarily agreeing with them....

#240991 - 04/16/04 09:53 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

We will get a new governor but Gary GridLocke might appoint the next two commissioners before he leaves. We have high hopes that we will finally get a sports fishing advocate on the commission as the mandate that created it promised.

#240993 - 04/16/04 10:10 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Quote:
We have high hopes that we will finally get a sports fishing advocate on the commission as the mandate that created it promised. [/QB]
Grandpa: I do not know all the commissioners, but I do know Pete Van Gytenbeck (although I am not sure how to spell his name) Pete is a lifelong sports fishing enthusiast. I have fished with Pete several times and can tell you he is an honest, decent, concerned, sports fisherman. Let's not paint them all with the same brush. And yes I think Locke appointed him. While I am not at all happy with many of Locke’s actions or inactions, I fear a right wing, trickle down, free enterprise governor will pack the board with, small businessmen i.e. commercial fishermen.

#240994 - 04/16/04 10:38 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
I would think that if a commissioner's goal were to promote/support small business', he would want to maximize sport fishing.

In a way, each angler is a small business unto himself, not to mention all the small business' he supports in pursuit of his hobby.

#240995 - 04/16/04 10:39 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Quote:
From Commissioner Cahill:
I would call it a culture war between the catch and release fly fishermen, and people who want to take home a fish. It has been a pretty viscious war, They call each other names, yell at public hearings."
Very Accurate. Short and to the point.

I do believe that most of the name calling, at least on the internet, has come from the mouths of the C&R zealots.

#240997 - 04/16/04 10:45 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Couldnt agree with you more Plunker!

#240998 - 04/16/04 10:46 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Fish Fossil Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Toledo Wa.
I just read this doing my morning thing.And I say HOG WASH PURE HOG WASH.

#241000 - 04/16/04 11:49 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Yeah right - it's all selfish elitist C&R flyfishers behind WSR. Just like it's a bunch of ignorant redneck fishkillers against it.

If only the lines were so clear - Good and Evil, Progressive vs Antiquted. Seems both sides are a bit guilty of painting the opposition into convenient stereotypes.

And FYI - i'm for WSR but realize that there are good arguments against a statewide ban as well. There are thoughtful, concerned sportsmen on each side of this "Culture War".

And I'll bet the Commercial contingent is lovin this - one more issue causing hate and discontent among the sporties.

Something to think about - who (or what) is really the biggest threat to your fishery?

My .02,

Brian

#241001 - 04/16/04 11:54 AM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn, WA USA
Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house.

Many of us are very passionate about our beliefs and people on both sides of the issue have resorted to name calling or cheap shots at one time or another. However some people choose to resort to the name calling and cheap shots more than others. Some people even seem to do it on a regular basis. Probably because they enjoy the controversy and just get a thrill out it.

Everyone needs to step back a take a deep breath before they decide to make personal attacks or take cheap shots.

#241002 - 04/16/04 12:06 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
C'mon, Plunk.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#241003 - 04/16/04 12:10 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Dan you are one of the few that I haven't seen using such antics. I wasn't refering to anyone in particular. I've seen it on both sides and I've also been guilty at times. Sometimes its hard not to respond to attacks or cheap shots with attacks and cheap shots. Lets just leave it at that.

#241004 - 04/16/04 12:20 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

I don't know where all the stereotypes come from, but I certainly don't fit them.

1. I haven't gear/baitfished for steelhead in 17 years.

2. I flyfish single barbless for steelhead.

3. I have never in my life killed a wild steelhead.

4. I think blanket WSR is a very bad idea.

I certainly fall into the seattlite yuppy flyfishing camp judging 1-3, but I think WSR is a bad idea for many reasons (obviously this is a rehash):

A. Its going back to the stoneage as far as flexible managment is concerned. The precedent set by WSR for other fisheries managment issues is appalling.

B. It was justified by weak science. The data support habitat/marine conditions being the limiting factor on wild steelhead production not harvest for most WA rivers.

C. Its a resource opportunity grap by elitist flyfishers (like me) from fish bonkers. It is wrong for one group to run another off the river.

#241005 - 04/16/04 12:57 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I'd sure would like to think that I'm in the no name calling camp.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#241006 - 04/16/04 01:03 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood
Quote:

Dan you are one of the few that I haven't seen using such antics.

Hmmmmmmmm.

#241007 - 04/16/04 01:04 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Geoduck,

Either you and I are spies for "the other side", or Cahill's comment, which is echoed by many, many anti-WSR folks (not all, especially you), including the Mayor of Forks, is a load of BS.

Quote:
Cahill says: "The issue has been fermenting for years, I would call it a culture war between the catch and release fly fishermen, and people who want to take home a fish.
I don't even flyfish for steelhead...and only about 20% or so for salmon.

I guess you and I, Geoduck, should just bow out of the discussions, clearly the only people who should be involved are the "urban elitists" and the "logger rednecks", as not only are they the only ones that have a stake in the argument, they're the only ones who ought to be in it at all.

Plunk,

I know that you're too smart, or maybe too savvy, to actually believe some of the stuff you say. I hope that your last comment is one of those. There are other folks who say BS like that and believe it, but I think you just like to stir the pot...especially after a discussion has been started.

I've posted three times as much as you on these topics lately, and I'm sure, without even looking too hard, that I could find at least two or three times more inflammatory things that you've said with no factual basis, and name calling, than I have.

Quote:
That's because runs on rivers such as the Hoh, Bogey, Calawah and others are at all-time highs, according to Bob Leland, steelhead program manager for WDFW
And completely incorrect statements like this coming from the "steelhead program manager", of all people, doesn't make any of you wonder "what the hell is going on down there in Olympia", even a little?

I guess the controversial nature of WSR is pretty intrusive...it's managed to dominate almost every other topic lately.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#241008 - 04/16/04 01:34 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
Dan you are one of the few that I haven't seen using such antics.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmmmmmm.
Hairlip..........shhhhhhhh!

I admit.......I've been known to slip over the edge into the realm of insulting someone personally. \:o But I try not to.......because when you resort to those tactics, people respond with hostility instead of listening to your point. I guess that should be expected.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#241009 - 04/16/04 01:41 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Maybe I spoke to soon Dan. ;\) But I don't recall you throwing mud at me \:\)

#241010 - 04/16/04 02:37 PM Re: Commissioner Cahill Says WSR Is A Culture War
KurtF Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
Dan S. & Hairlip -

\:D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Lifter99, steely slammer), 1123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645856 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |