Originally Posted By: Jason B

Hooking these fish in the mouth is only possible if you don't set the hook. You will snag one on the very first cast if you even pull your line back after it hits the water. I am not saying that some of my fish aren't flossed.

If you are fishing stationary gear on the bottom, ala the Samish leadhead method, your fish are snagged they just happened to be snagged in or the mouth quite often. The notion that any fish, let alone a king salmon, would root around in raw sewage and tidal mud (aka Samish substrate) to dig out and eat a chunk of lead and marabou is pretty much the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Using the Samish method, the fish swims into your stationary line with an open mouth. When the fish continues to swim and/or the angler adds tension to the line, the hook/jig can quite often wind up in or near the mouth. Albeit a fairly creative and somewhat refined form of snagging, it is snagging just the same.

The points about trying to introduce angler ethics into a hatchery only zone are valid. I really don't think it is worth anyone's time trying to spruce up this fishery. Let people get them however they want. Pitch forks, dynamite, leaded trebles, whatever. In the end the main purpose of this fishery is recreation and groceries and I doubt that anyone who winds up on the Samish for either purposes is terribly worried about the quality of the angling experience or "ethical" methods.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."