Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
Open carry = get drilled first
Exactly. Now the bad guy(s) knows who to shoot first or who to hold at gunpoint while his buddy comes up and pistol whips your ass and takes your own gun from ya... I wanna look like your average "innocent" Joe Schmoe. A "non threat" to him/her. If i ever have to intervene in a situation I want to overwhelmingly surprise the bad guy(s) by force if its tactically feasable/worth it to intervene. Wearing a gun in plain direct view does not accomplish that IMO. Your relying on the deterrent factor of the gun and for the criminal to get cold feet/scared because he see's someone is "armed". It may work, or it may get you shot depending on how commited they are... In all of the defensive pistol/CCW classes I have attended over the last few years, not one instructor has EVER advocated open carrying. In fact a few "open carriers" where converted once they got done with the class and saw the tactical disadvantage of someone knowing your armed. Alot of people get really edgy seeing someone armed. I dont want to be confronted by the police cause some guy/girl felt threatened...
There where two really good threads a while back on the benefits/cons of both Open/Concealed Carry: BOTH sides had good and valid points. One was on M4carbine and the other I beleive was on Lightfighter.

Cant wait for this Spring. Advanced handgun course with Larry Vickers and Rob Leatham in Phoenix, AZ. Its going to be a blast!
Larry Vickers is one of the baddest dudes on the planet and is one hell of an instructor. I think there are a few spots still open aswell if anyone is interested. This will be the first time exclusively training with him. However, when i took Ken Hackathorn's Pistol/Low light shooting class last year he was there helping Ken demonstrate some techniques and the benefits of CTC laser grips and how to tactically employ a weapon light/handheld in a gunfight or self defense encounter. I highly recommend both Hackathorn and Vicker. There both top notch instructors who have to be booked way in advance...