When you talk about "shares" it must be remembered that the non-Indians have been fishing, and impacting, Chinook and coho in ocean, Straits, and marine areas when they were open. The Tribes are allowed to "catch up". Sharing is by stock, not by area. Since the Tribes normally fish terminally, and the non-Indians (sport and commercial troll) fish out in mixed stock areas it often occurs that there is nothing left inside except Tribal share.

Add to that the fact that WDFW can give away fish (as have the Tribes in some cases) if it meets "bigger needs".

I would also disagree on the ability to do In-season updates. Back in the 80s, the Nooksack-Samish, Skagit, Stilly-Snohomish, South Sound, and Hood Canal Chinook, coho, and chum were updated on a weekly basis. These updates, with damn few exceptions, were more accurate than the forecasts. Apparently there has been a choice made not to do in-season management.

I also believe, on no evidence other that what I read in the newspapers, that Muckleshoot got that language in trade for agreeing to this year's fisheries. Remember that they have been a stumbling block the past two years.