The bottom fish regs were just changed to eliminate bottom fishing in depths greater than 120 feet and rockfish retention to just the two pelagic species. Now the goal to chop it up further. This is simply unacceptable!

Guess if you are going after lings and want live bait (greenling, flatfish, rockfish) the changes to daily catch limit(s) proposed under Alternative 1 would have an impact. Again, the question is why? What is the biological basis for this?

Of course, the answer is not to be found in the biology. It is the "will" of those other folks on the advisory group. Glad that we have some strong representation on that group or we would be looking at most at only two alternatives (#3 for sure; #2 a maybe).

Oh, and I have to wonder what Government to Government communication has been accomplished since last year between WDFW and the Makahs regarding this whole concept. They were not just a little bit unhappy and expressed their feelings at Commissioner Jennings' confirmation hearing which was painful to watch. I even felt sort of sorry for the guy (glad I wasn't in his shoes at that moment).

Edited by Larry B (08/19/10 02:05 PM)
Edit Reason: add Makah question

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)