Duroboat 15,

(With thanks to Dave) No, the Yellowstone as an example is not grasping at straws. Harvested fish do not spawn, doesn't matter whether by hook or by net. If I recall correctly, there was no interruption in the Yellowstone fishery. I think it went from CNK in 1972 to CNR in 1973. What makes the example relevant is that both fishing and the fish population were limited by overharvest. Reducing the harvest was directly responsible for the rebound of the trout population.

Because of lower ocean survival, CNR may not result in an immediate rebound in wild steelhead runs, as Smalma has stressed. However, there will still be an immediate direct benefit to fishing. Every wild steelhead that remains in the river as a result of the new regulation will be available to be hooked and caught by another angler. That is a direct and immediate increase in angling opportunity if we define opportunity as the chance to fish water that actually contains fish.

Rob,

Gotta' give it to you, same as Micropterus, my friend. Your absolutes that cut through the BS are often opinion and not fact, and many of your facts are incorrect, I'm sorry to report. Your absolute and hostile attitude towards opinions you disagree with probably causes the personal attacks on you, even tho that doesn't serve anyones' interests either. If you'd separate your opinions from facts, and check to get your facts correct, your credibility here would soar. As it is, your passion is your best, and perhaps only positive attribute.

An example, you refer to the Skagit and the reduction in the escapement goal and ask where is the science. Well, the science is exactly the problem. Using MSH/MSY as the science-based management objective, you get more harvestable steelhead with the lower spawning escapement. Sorry. That's just how it works. Every fish population supports a larger harvest at lower escapements than it does at high, or maximum, escapements. I understand that it seems counter-intuitive, but that really is how it works. That is why I strongly encourage trying to shift WDFW's management objective to embrace the MSR concept. It favors larger fish populations, usually requires CNR, and includes a healthy buffer against management error.

Spawnout,

Where you fishin' guy? My yardstick showed every river I'd like to fish as still a bit too high, except a couple that are just too far for a one day drive. So I was fishing here on the BB like so many others.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.