Quote:
If those fifty fish were listed for WSR, the the sportsman would have a shot at releasing 500 fish at a mortality of 10%...

To me it is better to have a longer season with a chance to harvest more hatchery fish than a short season where only 50 people will get to bonk 1 wild fish.
You're missing my point. I thought the whole point of this measure was to save more fish. By doing this, more fish will be getting killed and in the end, we'll have shorter seasons because of it.

Quote:
Just because someone supports catch and release, it doesn't mean that they fish on the spawning beds. I fish the same stretches of rivers everyone else does. (The hatchery down on most rivers).
That's not the point I'm trying to make. Many people argue the point that allowing fish to make it to the spawning beds where they can spawn is the end goal. They don't look beyond that. What's the point of allowing more fish to spawn if their offspring are going to be facing even more nets than before? Let's say that there was no netting for one whole return and 1,000 more fish were able to spawn (or whatever max capacity for a river should be). Obviously, there would be a lot more smolt. Hooray! But when those fish return, if the nets are there, we won't even notice it. The same amount of fish we have now will be spawning because the nets will get the increased offspring.