Got this from Region 6 about the GH Policy upate. So I urge everyone to participate but frankly to avoid being duplistic I will not. This is a 100% grade A dog and pony show. It is doubtful that anything or anyone outside agency staff will have any REAL input. It is a charade to meet legal requirements. The present Commission is least informed most uniformed group I have ever seen. We are going the 1980s when the agency " professional staff " managed the basin into the dumpster.

Good morning,

This is a friendly reminder that there are a few days remaining to provide comment on revisions to the Grays Harbor Basin Salmon Management Policy. The Grays Harbor Basin Salmon Management Policy provides guidance to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife to promote conservation of salmon in Grays Harbor Basin, as well as the economic well-being and stability of commercial and recreational fishing in Washington. 

First adopted in February of 2014, the policy expired in December of 2023, and a formal policy revision process began in 2024. Department staff met with the Commission in June and August this year, providing a performance review of the expired policy, and offering staff recommendations for revisions. We also held a town hall on September 4, 2024, to share the proposed changes which aim to enable flexible and adaptive management, use the best available science, and align more closely with the newly approved Willapa Bay Salmon Management Policy. Please use this link to learn more and find the public comment portal where you may share your thoughts on the policy revisions through September 15, 2024. Your comments will be presented to the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission at their next meeting in Spokane, September 26-28, 2024.

We hope to hear from you, and I will send more details about the upcoming Commission meeting as they are made available.

Thank you for your interest in Grays Harbor fisheries,

Marlene Wagner
South Coast Policy Lead
marlene.wagner@dfw.wa.gov