This may tie into waterfowl and bird migrations, too. I was just wondering if the recent changes in climate, sea surface temperatures, and such are shifting migration timing. We know spring bloom and such is changing; coming earlier I think. Maybe Fall, in terms of temperature, is later. Daylength won't change, so the animals may still respond to that but if the temperatures and circulation patterns aren't right they may not move or may move slower.

I understand some goose migrations now stop well north of where they used to. Maybe the fish are still "out there" of are (as noted) stacked up because all the conditions aren't right.

I know that, as far back as the 80s, that Fraser sockeye migration routes were tied to seas surface temperatures. So much is changing out there and the fish can't catch up.

As one who used to rely on models to estimate run size and such I am afraid that they rely on some level of annual consistency; the underlying flows/tempos/etc are consistent. If they aren't, if they are changing, we can't really predict that impact because we can only look back at what happened.

Long way of saying that in the unsettled world of rapidly changing conditions maybe we should let the fish tell use; let them come to us when they are ready and not when we have scheduled them to perform.

Which means for my water fowling I should maybe hold off a week or two before going....Which, this year, comports well with health issues.