Everything Rivrguy said. Only thing I would add is that there weren't many people fishing the parts of the tribs I had been fishing (which are spots I know hold fish and are not secrets-most right at public access points). I suppose it makes a difference that I go out of my way to avoid combat situations (in life and on the river!), but I hadn't observed anything I would consider a real crowd anywhere before it was closed, probably because everyone knew the fishing was so tough. I know I had put in less effort than usual, because I didn't see much reason to expect the kind of fish movement we need to spread out the fish to places where I like to get em.

Another thing for me, personally: When the salmon fishing is slow in October, I like to turn my attention to cutthroat, jacks, or whatever else might be around. With this closure, that's not an option anymore. I think there are ways WDFW could have declared only a salmon closure and supplemented the rule with appropriate gear restrictions, to allow for some opportunity on game fish.

I am very familiar with the tired arguments that if they leave the rivers open for anything, the snaggers and poachers will keep doing their thing. If that's true, it's only because WDFW doesn't enforce its rules in the field. We all know they are under-staffed, but that's not our fault or our problem. Only WDFW can take action to defeat the evil spectres of snagging and poaching. And while we're on that topic, why aren't these WDFW staff doing stream observation issuing citations to the snaggers they claim to be observing all over the place? That might make a difference! Taking away fisheries from people who abide by the rules is never the appropriate way to punish those who don't.

Grrrr....